Nairobi Diocese, which is within Anglican Church of Kenya, is part of the wider Anglican Communion. The history of the Anglican church of Kenya dates back to 1844 when the first missionary from the Church Missionary Society (CMS), Dr. Johann Ludwing Krapf, arrived in Mombasa. He was joined two years later by Rev. Johann Rebman. The two CMS missionaries started several CMS stations in the coastal region which culminated in the diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa formed in 1884. This covered areas including Uganda, Kenya and Tanganyika with James Hannington as the first Bishop.
In 1955 The first African Bishops of the Anglican Church in Kenya, Festo Olang’ and Obadiah Kariuki were consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury in Uganda In 1960 the Anglican Province of East Africa, comprising of Kenya and Tanganyika was formed with L.J. Beecher as the first archbishop. In 1964, the diocese of Nairobi was separated from the diocese of Mombasa. The first African Archbishop of the Church, the Most Rev. Festo Olang’, was elected in 1970. In 1974 Imani house, the then headquarters of the Anglican church of Kenya and the diocese of Nairobi was opened. The most Rev. Dr. Manasses Kuria was elected the second Archbishop of the Church succeeding the most Rev. Festo Olang’ in 1980.
In 1996, the most Rev. Dr. Manasses Kuria retired and in 1998 The Most Rev. Dr. David Gitari was elected the third Archbishop to take his place. In September 2002 Nairobi diocese was split into two dioceses creating All Saints Cathedral diocese under the Most Rev David Gitari and the Nairobi Diocese, where Bishop Peter Njoka was elected the first Bishop. In July 2010, Bishop Peter Njoka retired and he was succeeded by The Rt Rev Joel Waweru. Due to the dynamic environment in which the Church in the capital city operates within, and the contextual experiences taking place in the world today, the diocese resorted in strategic planning as a roadmap to meeting the needs of its stakeholders.